Many people say that you should never feed your dog beans because it can cause them to have gas. However, this doesn’t mean that beans aren’t a great source of nutrients for your dog. If you’ve been wondering whether dogs can eat beans, the answer is a definite “yes”. While there may be some funky smells or sounds coming from them later on, but this is harmless, and no different than when you pass gas.
In fact, feeding your dog beans offers them many health benefits, and you can feed them many different types in moderation, including black, kidney, lima, or pinto beans. Nevertheless, you should not feed your dog refried beans, which are processed and contain a lot of salt and oil. Here’s why certain types of beans are good for dogs!
Health Benefits of Beans For Dogs
Beans are one of the best sources of protein and calories for dogs. They actually have two to four times as much protein as grains, and are loaded with other vitamins and nutrients that your dog needs to be healthy. Let’s take a look at the health benefits of various types of beans that you can give your dog.
- Green beans — Green beans are one of the best sources of vitamins C and K, and they are rich in manganese
- Lima beans — These are high in fiber and iron, which are important parts of a dog’s diet
- Lentils — Lentils are highly alkaline, so they won’t make your dog gassy
- Kidney beans — These are rich in antioxidants that can help control cholesterol, and help assist in regular bowel movements
- Black beans — Black beans are high in vitamins A and K, which help prevent blood clotting. Black beans also promote good eye health
- Pinto beans — Pinto beans are loaded with various proteins that are necessary for your dog’s overall health
It is never a good idea to feed your dog raw beans. Not only do they pose a choking hazard, they can also be toxic when uncooked. Always cook any beans that you are going to feed to your dog.
Not All Beans Are Healthy For Dogs
While most beans are perfectly safe for dogs to eat, there are some beans that you should avoid as they pose health risks.
- Canned beans — These beans are made with loads of additives and preservatives which can cause a variety of health issues in dogs
- Chilli beans — These are popular for dogs, but too much can lead to stomach upset, and over time, stomach problems can develop. It is best to avoid them altogether.
- Baked beans — Baked beans often contain tomato sauce, which is healthy for dogs, but not if the skins are left on the tomatoes. Avoid baked beans to be safe.
- Coffee beans — Dogs don’t need caffeine, and coffee beans can cause major stomach upsets
Yes, Dogs Can Eat Some Beans (Not All) in Moderation
As with any food that is safe for dogs to eat, beans should be given to your dog in moderation. They can be fattening when eaten in large quantities, and an overweight dog is not a healthy dog. But, as long as you are careful with portions and how often you give your dog beans, they can be a safe and healthy treat.