Many people are putting their dogs on whole food diets, which include fruits and vegetables, because it is so much healthier than feeding your pup processed food out of a can. But which fruits and vegetables are safe for dogs to have? For instance, can dogs eat mango? And are mangoes good or bad for dogs?
If you are looking for a delicious, sweet treat to give your dog, one of the best options is a mango. Mangoes are loaded with nutrients that dogs need in their diets, and they are sweet tasting, which most canines love. However, before giving this safe and healthy snack, owners need to make sure to remove the skin or peel as well as the seed or pit, which can be a choking hazard if accidentally swallowed.
Learn more about the benefits of giving your dog mango and how to properly prepare this tasty treat to make sure it is safe and good for dogs to eat!
Health Benefits of Mango For Dogs
If you are looking for a sweet treat to give to your dog, mango is a great choice. It is rich in vitamins A, B6, C, and E, and loaded with fiber. The sweet taste is just an added bonus, which your puppy will love.
There are several health benefits of mango for dogs, including:
- Vitamins – Mango is rich in many vitamins that dogs need in order to remain healthy
- Nutrients – Mango is also rich in pectin, potassium, beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, and antioxidants that help to fight cancer
- Fiber – Dogs need to have fiber in their diets to help with digestion and keep their stools soft. Fiber also helps to keep their bowel movements regular
- Cholesterol – Mango can help lower bad cholesterol levels in both humans and dogs without affecting good cholesterol
- Immune System – Dogs need healthy immune systems in order to fight off infections, diseases, etc. Giving them mango can help improve their immune systems
- Energy – Mango contains natural sugar which is good for dogs and can help dogs that tend to be lazy by giving them extra energy
- Diabetes – Studies show that mango is good for people with diabetes because it helps stabilize insulin levels. It’s also likely to be great for diabetic dogs
How To Feed Mango To Your Dog
You should thoroughly wash mangos before feeding them to your dog or even eating some yourself to wash off any residual chemicals or pesticides that may have been sprayed on the fruit. While the fruit itself is great for dogs, these chemicals are not, and they can cause your dog to become very ill.
Be sure to remove the pit before giving mango to your dog. Not only can the pit pose a serious choking hazard, it can also block the digestive system. In some instances, this can be fatal. The mango pit also contains cyanide which can make your dogs sick.
Mango peels should also be removed because the skin is not easy for a dog’s digestive system to process. In addition, it can cause blockages in the gastrointestinal system. If your dog accidentally swallows a mango pit or peel, you should watch closely for signs of gastrointestinal distress. Immediately contact your vet if you notice any symptoms.
Yes, Dogs Can Eat Mango
If you’re eating a mango and your dogs are begging for a bite, let them have it. Just make sure that the mango is washed and peeled, and that the pit has been removed before giving them any. You can also try chopping up some mango and freezing it. This makes a delicious frozen treat for your dog on hot summer days. You can also put mangoes (without the pit or peel) in a blender to make pureed mango which can be served fresh or frozen.