Can Dogs Eat Onions?

Are onions good, bad, or just OK for dogs? There are all kinds of human foods that we can give to our dogs, but onions are definitely not one of them. In fact, onions are poisonous and toxic for dogs, and can actually be lethal. Many dog owners wonder if their dogs are just allergic to onions but actually ALL dogs can’t eat them.

Moreover, dogs can’t have onions in any form, whether raw or cooked (including fried onion rings), and you shouldn’t even give your canine food that has been seasoned with onion powder. Basically, avoid onions altogether when it comes to feeding your dogs. Below, we will discuss what onions do to dogs, the symptoms of onion toxicity, and what to do if your dog ate an onion (depending on how much).

Can Dogs Eat Onions

Onions Are Toxic and Poisonous To Dogs

Onions contain thiosulfate, which is incredibly toxic to dogs because they don’t have the enzymes needed to properly digest the compound. However, don’t worry if your dogs happen to eat something that has a little bit of onion. Chances are that a little bit isn’t going to have much effect on them at all. But, if they should get into a slice of onion, or even worse, a whole onion, the results could be dreadful.

Onions are also toxic to dogs because they contain organosulfur. This can cause toxicosi which is a condition that occurs when poison is absorbed in the digestive tract. Onions also contain a toxic substance called N-propyl disulfide which causes red blood cells to break down and can lead to anemia.

It doesn’t take a ton of onion to cause a lot of damage. In fact, eating only one onion can lead to onion toxicity for a 45 pound dog. Eating onions can cause dogs to have asthma attacks, allergic reactions, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, discolored urine, anemia, dermatitis, and liver disease.

No matter how you look at it, onions are poisonous to dogs, and you should never give them any.

Are Any Parts of An Onion Safe For Dogs?

Unfortunately, there aren’t any parts of an onion that are safe for dogs to eat. Dogs can’t eat the leaves, flesh, or juice of an onion, and they can’t even have onion powder, onion salt, etc. Cooking onions won’t remove their toxic properties so you can’t even give them to your dogs. You also need to be careful about other prepared foods. Many foods contain onions so you have to be sure to read their ingredients.

Treating Onion Toxicity

Prevention is always the key to ensuring that your dogs don’t become ill. However, in the event that your precautions don’t work, you will need to contact your veterinarian immediately if you believe your dogs have eaten onions. In severe circumstances, your dogs may require blood transfusions to replace red blood cells that have been damaged by onion toxicity. Other treatments include stomach pumping, gastric lavage, and activated charcoal.

Heinz Body Anemia

Heinz Body Anemia, also known as Hemolytic anemia, is caused when red blood cells are destroyed, and the decreased red blood cell count leads to anemia. The symptoms of this condition can vary, depending on a few factors, including:

  • How much the dog has eaten
  • Size of the dog
  • How long it has been since the onion was eaten

Symptoms of this condition include pale gums, brownish or reddish urine, rapid heartbeat, respiratory problems, depression, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite.

No, Dogs Can Not Eat Onions

Dogs should not eat onions under any circumstances because they are extremely poisonous to them. However, you shouldn’t panic if your dogs happen to find and eat a very small amount of onion. You should monitor them for any symptoms of onion toxicity and, if they exhibit any signs, contact your vet right away. Their lives could depend on it!